Sunday, September 13, 2009

I would advise young men and women not to delay getting married and having children.

Fertility in women drops dramatically with age, and older mothers run the risk of having offspring with congenital abnormalities.Recent studies show also that advanced paternal age is associated with an increased risk of neuro developmental disorders in offspring, such as autism and schizophrenia, not to mention dyslexia and a subtle reduction in intelligence. Men can also suffer from diminished fertility with age although there is wide individual variation.


I would advise young men and women not to delay getting married and having children. I say this not to be politically correct. I say it in all sincerity because I have enjoyed a happy family life as a daughter and a sister, and I see both my brothers enjoying their own families.

Dr Lee Wei Ling
The writer is director of the National Neuroscience Institute.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home