5 Natural Antibiotic Solutions for Antibiotic-Resistant Infections
- Garlic - Garlic has known antibacterial, antifungal, and even antiviral properties. It has successfully be used to treat infectious diseases like pneumonia, MRSA, and even the black plague. It can also kill intestinal parasites—which can wreak havoc on your immune system.
- Echinacea - People usually reach for the Echinacea tea to ward off a cold or the flu, but this powerful herb is a known infection-buster as well. The herb fights infections by strengthening the body’s own defense system, helping you to fight the bacteria rather than just coming in and killing everything in sight (like Big Pharma’s antibiotics).
- Honey – Also among the many amazing natural antibiotics, honey is a well known food harnessing antibacterial properties (along with a bunch of other beneficial properties). One study published in the journal Microbiology found that honey – particularly that derived from bees foraging on manuka flowers – halted one type of streptococcus pyogenes from inhibiting the healing of wounds. Other research shows that honey could be a potent answer to drug resistant bacteria like MRSA. Honey is a great natural antibiotic.
- Turmeric - The bright yellow spice that gives curries their rich color and smoky flavor, turmeric is far more than a culinary tool—it has amazing healing properties. MRSA typically forms in wounds or boils. Turmeric acts as an antibacterial agent and can be taken internally or applied directly to the skin. Try making turmeric into a paste by adding water or even manduka honey and applying to the infection.
- Oregano -Oregano, and specifically oil of oregano, has potent antibacterial and infection-fighting properties. One study in particular found these properties to be as effective as antibiotics and offering great promise particularly in the fight against antibiotic-resistant infection. You can find this oil in health food stores or you can make your own.